Pages

Welcome!

This blog shows my ups and downs of my journey through Parelli Natural Horsemanship. I love studying Parelli and believe that it truly is way more than riding, all about the relationship, and it's the ultimate way to train your horse. It gives me a way to be with my horse naturally and to understand his language. I try to blog about every session I have with my horse so that I can learn from them, and I hope you enjoy it!

Friday, May 13, 2011

A Moonlight Walk

When I went to the barn tonight to make sure everything was lock, I thought I saw a bat when I turned on the hayloft light!! The hallway lights are out, so I have to use the light from the hayloft and the feedroom. So I hurried out to the horses and got mauled for carrots. I would have had a peaceful time out there with the horses under the moonlight, but all the dogs were barking. That makes you really jumpy when you live in the woods! And the horses' senses have to be heightened in the dark, because they pay attention to EVERYTHING! I put my arms over his back and used him as a pillow for a few minutes while moseying along with him, and it was pretty peaceful when I blocked out all the noise and the wind. I wanted Tug to walk me back to the barn lol, so I tried to lead him by the mane. At first he resisted and tried to go the other way, so I used my flashlight to touch his side to encourage him to go with me. Then he realized we were heading towards the pasture gate because I wanted to make sure it was locked, and he picked up his pace. When I turned towards the barn, he was walking right beside me so I didn't need his mane, and his ears were pointed straight ahead! There's a slight hill going into the barn, so I started to trot and he trotted on ahead of me!! While making sure everything was locked in the barn, I gave him a small pile of hay and loved on him for a minute before heading back to the house accompanied by the cats. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment