Pages

Welcome!

This blog shows my ups and downs of my journey through Parelli Natural Horsemanship. I love studying Parelli and believe that it truly is way more than riding, all about the relationship, and it's the ultimate way to train your horse. It gives me a way to be with my horse naturally and to understand his language. I try to blog about every session I have with my horse so that I can learn from them, and I hope you enjoy it!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

"You said changing direction was okay..."

This morning I was flipping through my Level 2 stuff and decided on changing direction. I went out to the barn with my pockets stuffed with apple waffers and carrots and brought the horses in from the pasture. I started by putting Tug's foot on it and seeing if I could get him to put weight on it. Now I will admit that I held a treat in front of him so that he had to put weight on his foot to get it. That may be bribing, but it worked. I didn't keep moving it so that I was luring him, I just held it still so he could get it. Anyways, then we went to the circle. Tug has this thing of running off to the left like he's being lounged so I started to the right and practiced getting him to come to me when I turn around. He understood this a lot more when he went to the left. Before I could actually get him to change direction, he stepped over the rope and I had to wait until he was calm before I released it. When we tried it again to the left, I had to drive him out a few times because he wanted to keep coming in after I allowed it the first few times. But when he did change directions, WOW! He really got it! After 2 or 3 times I brought him in and gave him a treat. When I sent him to the left again, I let him do a few laps. Then when he got in front of me, he acted like he was going to come in, but he changed directions! It's like he was saying, "You said changing direction was okay, so that's what I'm doing." I expected this, but not on the first day.

After the first change where he switched from going left, to going right, he seemed so much more relaxed and confident. Hopefully this will help stop his problem of running to the left. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment