Pages

Welcome!

This blog shows my ups and downs of my journey through Parelli Natural Horsemanship. I love studying Parelli and believe that it truly is way more than riding, all about the relationship, and it's the ultimate way to train your horse. It gives me a way to be with my horse naturally and to understand his language. I try to blog about every session I have with my horse so that I can learn from them, and I hope you enjoy it!

Monday, April 18, 2011

Time for worming!

We wormed the horses yesterday for the first time in over 7-8 months. A couple of months ago I started working with the Sugar and Tug on deworming simulations using apple sauce. Tug got the idea pretty quick and he soon started reaching for the syringe. Sugar wouldn't get the idea out of her head that anything with a point was not going in her mouth. Anyway, she had gotten better at it and even started putting the end of a carrot stick without a rubber handle on it into her mouth as long as it was coated with sugar and apple sauce. Well, yesterday we finally did it. Tug took less than a minute. I gave him two syringes full of apple sauce, gave him the worm medicine, and then finished off with a few more doses of apple sauce and it was good as new. Sugar, who normally takes 15 minutes of head bobbing, only bobbed her head about 3 times and then in went the medicine. Next time probably won't go so good, but oh well. It's not Dot's favorite thing either, but I was really proud of Tug. He even let me trim some of his hooves. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment