Pages

Welcome!

This blog shows my ups and downs of my journey through Parelli Natural Horsemanship. I love studying Parelli and believe that it truly is way more than riding, all about the relationship, and it's the ultimate way to train your horse. It gives me a way to be with my horse naturally and to understand his language. I try to blog about every session I have with my horse so that I can learn from them, and I hope you enjoy it!

Monday, March 21, 2011

A bad start but a good ending.

I finally put up the tape roundpen. I started by getting Tug to knock a barrel over and then I tried for a figure 8. He ended up RB and things got worse from there. He'd try to come in but I was so upset that I wouldn't let him. So I just took the tape down and sat in the barn while I rolled it up. I expected Tug to go to the mares and not have anything to do with me but I was wrong. He went to get a drink and then came right to me. He stood over me the whole time but when I went to get the halter and stick, he walked off. When I went out later, I had the halter and stick just planning on playing the friendly game with them, but he came right to me! So I played the friendly game with the stick and string while I walked away from him and tossed the string over him. His ears were kinda forward after that and then I took him outside the gate. I got him to touch my truck and then I took him under the carport to see if he'd put all 4 feet on the concrete near the steps. I've never asked him to put all 4 feet on something, so I was prepared to do approach and retreat. At first I think he got 3 feet on or he was very close but then something got his attention and he seemed a little tense so I left it at 2 feet on the second try. We went to an open spot for some circling but he got unconfident again so I just stopped and took him back to the barn.

Then tonight I went out to the barn for some UDT. I had a piece of carrot for the mares and 2 for Tug. I gave him one when he walked half way to the barn. I accidentally ran my hand over the medicine on his chest so I had to go wash my hands. He followed me to the barn and the water trough at a distance and then back out to where we were originally. We stayed out there for a while playing the friendly game with rubbing inside his ears and then I went to the barn to put the stick up and leave. He followed me there too so I just sat down for a little longer. He stood right over the top of me at first and then stood at the end of the barn which was just a few feet away and almost went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment