Pages

Welcome!

This blog shows my ups and downs of my journey through Parelli Natural Horsemanship. I love studying Parelli and believe that it truly is way more than riding, all about the relationship, and it's the ultimate way to train your horse. It gives me a way to be with my horse naturally and to understand his language. I try to blog about every session I have with my horse so that I can learn from them, and I hope you enjoy it!

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Tug met me at the gate nickering. I gave him a carrot and rubbed him for a few minutes before turning to walk to the barn which is just a few feet away. He followed really close! I stopped when I got to the barn but he kept walking a few more feet to stand in front of the tack room. I haltered him and put the 22 ft. line on him, and told him that all I wanted was for him to want to play and be happy. We went behind the barn and started with the squeeze game and some stick to me. Then I tried for 2 laps on the circle because I haven't been paying much attention to when he breaks gait or how many laps he does, so I just started with something simple. I didn't get 2 laps right away, but when I brought him, our draw was broken! I thought, "Wow, that's odd!" So the goal now was to get a better draw. It got better, but he didn't come all the way in. He wasn't unconfident though. We went to the roundpen and did some more stick to me which turned into a mess, and then we tried some figure 8s. That was a mess too for a while, but he finally started going on his own so I ended it on a good note. I asked him to go around and touch some things, including getting on the pedestal. Once he was on it, he turned to look at me. Get this, when I smiled he licked his lips!! As I stood there trying to figure out the best part of the session, or what we improved, I couldn't really find anything that really got better although there some small things lol. After I cleaned his feet out in the barn, I sat in the tackroom door while he almost went to sleep. Then I thought of the best part. What I had wanted all along had happened. He licked his lips, asked questions, and tried his heart out the entire session! I stood up to take his halter off and then I sat back down. He never moved! He stayed there for a few more minutes, completely relaxed! :D

1 comment:

  1. How interesting! Sounds like your thinking was a little direct lined, but you pulled yourself back from it with your realization at the end. Good for you!! I'm so glad that things are going well with Tug. It sounds like your relationship is getting better and better! :)

    ReplyDelete