After yesterday's bad sessions, I WAS NOT planning on going there today. I wasn't even sure if I should have played with him or not. After struggling with trying to adjust an old dog harness that had been out in the dirt for some time, and walking a German Shepherd puppy that we rescued that pulled the whole time, and cleaning out all of the stalls, I played with Tug. I realized sometime before the fall, that after I did some barn chores, our session seemed to go better. So today, there was no tension in my body at all. I accidentally popped his mouth when he reached for a carrot though. I felt so bad. But Sugar kept coming back after I drove her away and that's when I turned around to pet Tug and it happened. He didn't take it personally, but I just don't know where it came from! I don't remember the last time I ever smacked a horse! Oh I felt horrible!
I put 2 barrels parallel to a crosstie on the ground and separated them by about 2 feet. I hoped he'd jump them, but I knew he wouldn't so that's why I separated them. I did approach and retreat with circling to the right and it must have paid off and gained his confidence. The first 2 times, he only went about 1/4 of the way around. Once he stopped, I sent him to the left, and so on. The third time of this, he made it all the way around!!! YEAH! Then I set 2 cones up side by side and asked him to go sideways over them. That was the first time I had asked him to go over something so tall (my cones are large) and he had no problem. Going to the right is harder for him, but I tried for sideways from zone 1 over them going to the right. After a little persistance, he did it. He looked down at them like, "Hmmmm, that was different!"
So I guess I should just start doing chores before I play with him.
Welcome!
This blog shows my ups and downs of my journey through Parelli Natural Horsemanship. I love studying Parelli and believe that it truly is way more than riding, all about the relationship, and it's the ultimate way to train your horse. It gives me a way to be with my horse naturally and to understand his language. I try to blog about every session I have with my horse so that I can learn from them, and I hope you enjoy it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Forgive yourself for the smack! I posted a comment on your SC forum as well. It's not good for you or tug to carry the guilt. You will learn from this and be better for him the next time.
ReplyDeleteIf it makes you feel better, I just had a similar experience with my horse: http://fiesta831.livejournal.com/182191.html