Pages

Welcome!

This blog shows my ups and downs of my journey through Parelli Natural Horsemanship. I love studying Parelli and believe that it truly is way more than riding, all about the relationship, and it's the ultimate way to train your horse. It gives me a way to be with my horse naturally and to understand his language. I try to blog about every session I have with my horse so that I can learn from them, and I hope you enjoy it!

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

We've had a little rough patch, but now things seem to be getting better.

The other day I sat in the pasture hoping Tug would come over. When he finally did, I gave him a piece of carrot. When he quit asking for one and started eating grass again, I gave him another. He quickly learned that it wasn't about the carrot lol.

Then later I went out to halter him and I tried the haltering process. In the 3 years I've studied Parelli, I've never seen or heard of that. But anyways he really seemed to understand what I wanted him to do.

When I turned them all out to eat hay, I beat Tug out there so I could stop him charging the mares. When he charged Sugar, I matched his energy and sent him the other way. He turned and did a little head fling, but he stayed away. Then he got behind Sugar and tried to drive her out of the way and I stopped him again. This time he stayed away until I asked him to come in. And he didn't back his ears once while I was there. But as soon as I left, he moved the mares away.

Yesterday I sat in the tackroom while Tug and Sugar stood head to head in front of me. He never backed his ears, but I could tell he wasn't happy that she was there. I could back him up with the antenna from my radio and we porcupined backwards to his stall while I was in front of him. When I opened his gate, he licked his lips and waited until I leaned back a little before going in. Then while I had his food, he kind of crowded me so I porcupined him backwards while I stood at his shoulder. He started walking forwards and backwards with me and I wasn't even touching him! :)

Oh, I also got him to put both feet on a pedestal a few days ago too. While he was up there, he got a lot of treats! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment