Pages

Welcome!

This blog shows my ups and downs of my journey through Parelli Natural Horsemanship. I love studying Parelli and believe that it truly is way more than riding, all about the relationship, and it's the ultimate way to train your horse. It gives me a way to be with my horse naturally and to understand his language. I try to blog about every session I have with my horse so that I can learn from them, and I hope you enjoy it!

Monday, January 3, 2011

Good and bad feedback...

I whistled to Tug as I walked up to the barn and he was standing by the roundpen. Before I got to the gate, he turned completely around to face me. Once I got inside, he nickered the whole way to me! Great feedback right!? Well, when I got the halter from the tackroom, he walked off. :( Not so great. He ended up going all the way out behind the barn to where the mares were standing. So I grabbes some hay and put it in the roundpen. Sugar and Dot came up so I put some for them in the barn. Tug still didn't want to be caught and he kept trying to go around me to the barn. When I did get him, he didn't want to go in the roundpen. He walked straight by me to avoid the gate and ignored by request for him to disengage his HQ. I didn't have my stick so I smacked him with the rope. This got his attention! I got him in the roundpen and backed him up to the hay pile and we sat there while he ate about half of it. Then I took him behind the barn to work on the figure 8 pattern. I had the 12 foot on him so we could go back to the basics of it since we're having so much trouble. Well, while he walked behind me, he had his ears back so I turned and sent him backward! We made it to the barrels and I sent him to the first one. His idea was to paw at it, so I said fine, keep doing it. Then I sent him the other way. He didn't go around the barrel so I acted like he did and he went the other way and pawed at the same barrle. This time he kicked it too far and I asked him to kick it back. He didn't quite make it so I put it back where it was and we started again. This time I could see his whole attitude change! He seemed to relax and went around both barrels without stopping! So I quickly ended it and we walked back to the roundpen. His ears were back again and I had to correct that a few times before he quit. After he finished his hay, we played around with taking the halter on and off. I had 5 peices of carrots in my poket and they were used on that. I only gave him one once the halter was on and he put effort into turning his head for me and dropping it a little. I probably shouldn't have played with him because of the feedback he gave me about the halter, but I think it went pretty good anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment